Protect Yourself from Carjackers
Carjacking is a violent crime that can occur ANYTIME, ANYWHERE, and TO ANYONE.
Remember, if you are confronted by a carjacker, do not resist ,
just get out of the car quickly! Nothing is more valuable than your life!
You can help protect yourself and your car by taking some simple precautions:
- Walk with purpose. Always approach your car with your keys in hand.
- Pay attention to your surroundings, and be alert to nearby activity.
- Always check the back seat before opening your car.
- Be suspicious of anyone asking for directions or handing out fliers.
- Always be aware of your surroundings. Look around and stay alert when you are
stopped at an intersection.
- When stopping in traffic, leave enough distance between your car and the one in
front of you so you can see their tires.
- Drive in the center lane to make it harder for a would-be carjacker to approach
- Know your route. Use well-lighted streets and well-traveled roads whenever
- Don’t drive without first locking your doors and closing your windows.
- Park in well-lighted areas, near sidewalks or walkways. Avoid parking near
dumpster, woods, large vans or trucks, or anything else that limits your
visibility. If possible, ask someone to walk with you to your car.
- Put valuables in your trunk or out of sight.
- Try to park in a garage with an attendant. Leave only your ignition key, with
- Don’t get out of your car if you see suspicious people.
- To avoid other thefts that sometimes follow carjackings, separate your car keys
from your house and office keys. In addition, do not leave your registration,
insurance information, or any information identifying your home or work address
in your glove box or car interior. Always keep that information on your person.
- Keep a good supply of gas in your tank and your car in good working condition.
- Above all, never leave a child unattended in your car - not even for a minute!
WHAT CAN YOU DO IF IT HAPPENS?
- If someone demands, your car keys, don’t argue and don’t resist. Nothing is
more valuable than your life!
- Get away from the area as quickly as possible.
- Dial the 911 emergency number and report the crime immediately. If you have a
car or portable phone, it is a good idea to program a speed dial with the 911
- Try to remember as many details about the carjacker as possible: sex, race,
age, hair & eye color, unusual features and clothing.
- If your house or office keys are taken, change the locks immediately. If a
garage door opener is in the car, change the security code immediately.
REMEMBER, IF YOU HAVE INFORMATION ABOUT AUTO THIEVES,
By protecting your vehicle and being alert,
you can be part of the solution,
and you can save money on your insurance