Tips on keeping your car and belongings safe during warm weather:
- Close windows tightly when you are not with the vehicle – don’t
even leave them “cracked.” Don’t leave your car unlocked when going into stores
or using ATM’s.
- Keep your personal belongings, CD’s, cell phones and other
valuables out of sight.
- Close and lock convertible tops.
- Protect your vehicle from being started by a thief by having a
mechanic install a kill-switch in a concealed place in your vehicle.
- Add a second layer of protection to your vehicle by using a
steering wheel locking device, a steering column protector or an alarm with a
- Consider etching your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) onto
the glass surfaces of your vehicle. VIN etching makes vehicles less attractive
to thieves because all windows must be replaced before the vehicle can be tagged
with a fake VIN and resold.
- If you know anything about auto theft, report it to your local
police department and HEAT’s confidential tip-reward line, 1-800-242-HEAT.
Additional Safety Tips