What You Can Do To Help Eliminate Auto Theft:
- Lock your car – half of all vehicles stolen are left unlocked.
- Take your keys – nearly 20% of all vehicles stolen have keys in them.
- Park in well-lighted areas - car theft occurs at night more than half the time.
- Park in attended lots – car thieves don’t like witnesses.
- Don’t leave valuables in plain view – they may invite thieves to break into your
- Completely close your windows – don’t make it easy to gain access to your car.
- Don’t hide a spare set of keys in the car – the pros know where to look.
- Don’t keep your registration in your glove compartment. Thieves have just what
they need if they steal your car. Keep it in your wallet
MAKE IT HARDER ON THE THIEF
- Park with your wheels turned toward the curb.
- If your vehicle has rear–wheel drive, back into your driveway – rear wheels lock
on rear–wheel drive vehicles, making them tough to tow. Front- wheel drive
vehicles should be parked front end first.
- Always use your emergency brake when parking.
- If you have a garage, use it; and when you do, lock both the vehicle and the
- If your vehicle is going to be unattended for a long period of time, disable it;
for example, remove the ignition fuse or coil wire.
|USE VISIBLE OR AUDIBLE DETERRENTS
Remember, when you leave your car, set your theft-deterrent device!
Any of the following devices can be installed to help protect your car:
- Audible alarms, steering column collars
- Steering wheel locks, theft deterrent decals
- Tire Locks, Etching
These devices prevent thieves from bypassing your ignition and hot-wiring your
vehicle. Some use computer chips in ignition keys, while other inhibit the flow
of electricity or fuel until you hit a hidden switch. Here are a few examples: smart keys, use cut-offs, kill switches,
starter, ignition and fuel disablers
A vehicle tracking system is a high-tech device designed to be hidden in your
automobile. It will emit a signal that the police can monitor if you report a
theft. These systems are very effective in helping law enforcement authorities
recover stolen vehicles.
REMEMBER, IF YOU HAVE INFORMATION ABOUT AN AUTO THEFT RELATED CRIME,
By protecting your vehicle and being alert,
you can be part of the solution,
and you can save money on your insurance